Supporting the College of Liberal Arts
The College of Liberal Arts (CLA) attracts some of the nation's best and brightest students to its 17 undergraduate programs and five graduate programs. Many of the college’s programs have earned national reputations.
More than 58 CLA faculty members have been honored as Cal Poly distinguished teachers during the past three decades. In addition to teaching within their own majors, these outstanding faculty educators teach the majority of general education courses required for all Cal Poly students. Its rich history of teaching excellence, active research and creative endeavors, and the breadth and depth of its course offerings position the CLA as central to the Cal Poly educational experience.
Private support for the College of Liberal Arts is crucial to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty in the competitive world of emerging technologies and globalized cultures. To this end, the college is developing innovative and interdisciplinary polytechnic curricula, enhancing its study abroad programs, and updating it labs.
Your philanthropic support will enable the college to:
- Provide Earn by Doing opportunities for students
- Enhance the quality and appropriateness of instructional equipment and technology in classrooms, labs and studios
- Offer financial support for student groups to compete in regional and national events (e.g., Mock Trial, Ethics Bowl, Debate Team, Model United Nations) and for student musical and theatrical ensembles to perform in competitions and at prestigious sites (e.g., Carnegie Hall, international venues, etc.)
- Renovate Spanos Theatre and other instructional, lab, rehearsal and performance spaces.
- Establish endowment funds for students to study abroad
- Support student-run journals, such as Byzantium (English) and The Forum (history)
- Generate endowments to provide needed financial support for undergraduate research, creative work and senior projects
- Create and/or maintain state-of-the-art labs and studios in technology-intensive disciplines, such as art and design, graphic communication, journalism, music, and theatre and dance
- Enrich students’ educational experiences through visiting scholars, artists and lecturers.
- Provide scholarships for students and monetary awards for student achievement
- Generate endowments to support professorships, innovative interdisciplinary activities, and recognition of outstanding professional contributions
- Support and enhance curricular innovations to keep pace with a changing world and changing industry needs